Sunday, February 12, 2012

Goody's Diner - CLOSED

This was the longest lunch I think I've ever had.  Goody's Diner is located at 17-133 Manville Rd (major intersection Warden & Eglinton) which is quite a drive from where I live.  The fact that they are only open on weekdays 9am-7pm makes it extremely difficult for us to go and try.  But we managed to find a day where my husband and friends had a big enough break in their work schedules to join me for lunch there. 

When we got there, the place was full from the lunchtime crowd from people around the area.  We waited a few minutes before we were seated.  Once we were seated and glanced over the menu, we placed our order and waited.  And waited, and waited, and waited.  We waited for a good 40 minutes for our food.  My husband couldn't wait any longer and had to leave and rush back for a meeting.  Good thing my friends were willing to drive me back home after!  About 5 minutes afer my husband left, our food finally came!

I ordered the Goody's Turkey Club which came with a side of poutine.  Turkey club was good, had real turkey breast, not the sliced deli kind.  Inside it also came with peameal bacon, avocado, lettuce tomato, cranberry sauce and a bit of gravy.  It was a bit heavy on the cranberry sauce, in my opinion, but otherwise good.  The poutine was delicious!  The fries were skinny fries, super crispy on the outside but still meaty enough on the inside.  Gravy unfortunately was too salty for my liking.  And I would have prefered a little more cheese curds.  But definitely one of the better poutines i've had in the area.

My husband ordered their weekly burger special: The Montreal (which he ate once I brought it home).  The Montreal burger was topped with smoked meat and poutine along with the normal burger toppings.  He liked the taste of it, but would have prefered eating it fresh obviously.  I took a bite out of it when I was at Goody's and thought it was a bit overcooked and salty (that was the gravy agian!) for my liking.  Texture was not like the standard burgers that i've had before.  This beef patty had a chunkier texture to it.  This prompted us to ask the server if the patties were made in house.  And to our delight, they are!  Next time we know to ask for it to be cooked medium rare!  This gives us a great excuse to find the time to go back and try Goody's again! 

One of my friends ordered a Vegetarian Burger which on the menu states that it is an 8oz prime grilled vegetable burger with garlic mayo, zuchinni relish, lettuce, tomato and onion.  To our surprise when it arrived, it was TWO veggie patties.  We've never seen that before!  And as she was eating the veggie burger, juices were dripping out!  Again, that's something we've never seen, juices dripping out of a veggie burger! 

My other friend ordered the Goody's Burger which is an 8oz sirloin burger that comes with grilled peameal bacon, mushrooms, jalapeno havarti, caramelized onion, lettuce and tomato.  Again he loved the taste and flavour of his beef patty but also thought that it was overcooked. 


Goody's Diner is definitely one of the places I will be heading back to try again when our schedules allow.  Hopefully they will consider opening on the weekend which allow us to try their burgers again sooner rather than later.  We'll just have to make sure to ask for our burgers medium or medium rare next time.

Goody's Diner 17-133 Manville Rd.
Hours: Monday - Friday 9am-7pm
Phone: 647-348-9338

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...