Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lady Marmalade

I love eggs.  I love breakfast foods.  So on occasion, we will look for a new restaurant to visit so I can try out their brunch menu.  This time, because we planned on going down to the Beaches for my hubbys cousin's engagement shoot, I thought it would be perfect to make a trip to Lady Marmalade located in Leslieville.

Before actually going to the restaurant, I was warned about the wait times.  Unless you go first thing in the morning when they open, you will need to wait a good half an hour.  And this was no lie.  We had to wait a good half an hour for a table for 4.  Good thing the decor in the restaurant was interesting enough to keep me entertained so the wait didn't seem as long as it was.  There were some beautiful photographs on the walls.  The furniture was a different story.  It was like we were sent back in time about 20 years ago.  My parents owned a similar table, similar chairs, and i'm sure both my family and extended family owned similar mugs.

Once we were seated, we quickly placed our orders because we were super hungry.  We ordered the huevos migas, baked crepe croque monsieur, cochinita pibil benny, and brie avocado bacon benny.  After we ordered we had to wait quite a while to get our food.  I lost track of time, all I could think about was how much my stomach was making grumbling sounds.  Good thing it was loud in there, similar volume to a Chinese dim sum restaurant, or else I would have been so embarassed if anyone heard my stomach.

Huevos migas was HUGE.  It looked like a Mexican party on a platter.  Three soft scrambled eggs with cheese, tomatoes, scallions and sausage, served with basmati brown rice, smashed black beans, sour cream, pico de gallo salsa and organic corn tortilla chips.  Considering that this was enough to make my cousin-in-law full, this means that there's probably too much food for a 'normal' adult to be eating.
Huevos Migas









Baked crepe croque monsieur.  I normally don't like to order such heavy foods for breakfast or even brunch.  The thought of all that cheese that would sit in my stomach.....ughhh.  But since it was after 1pm, and also my first meal of the day, I thought, what the hey.  When the dish was first placed in front of me, I noticed that the poached egg whites were overcooked.  I then got worried that my yolks wouldn't be runny.  But as soon as I broke the eggs open, and saw the golden yellow yolks run onto my crepes, my worries were subsided.  Ooozy egg yolks with ooozy ham and cheese.  Whats not to like?  The potatoes that came on the side were just meh I thought, but the main dish was able to keep me nice and happy.  No complaints.
Baked Crepe Croque Monsieur









Cochinita pibil benny translation would be Yucatan pulled pork and citrus marinated red onion benny served with a side of salad.  The pulled pork was delicious.  Just enough spice and the pork was so soft and tender.  I think Lady Marmalade's pulled pork ranks high up there in my books!  Their hollandaise sauce was just ok I thought.  Nothing to special, actually I thought was slightly under seasoned.  There was also a herby type sauce on top of the hollandaise sauce which I couldn't figure out.  The hubby enjoyed this dish for sure!
Conchinita Pibil Benny









Last but not least, the brie avocado bacon benny.  It looked delicious. I didn't get a chance to try it, but no complaints from the person who ordered it.
Brie Avocado Bacon Benny









Lady Marmalade was great.  I just wish that the lineup to get a table and the wait for our food wasn't as long as it was.  To avoid a lineup, either show up when they open, or come at 2pm.

Lady Marmalade
898 Queen St East at Logan Ave
647-351-7645
Hours: Monday - Friday - 8am to 4pm
            Saturday & Sunday (& Holidays) - 8am to 3pm

They don't take reservations.

Photos courtesy of PixelBytes Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...