Sunday, October 21, 2012

Kinton Ramen

It's been a long while since I have posted anything here.  Lots of stuff has happened in the last few months, all good, making it hard for me to find the time to post on here.  I have continued on eating and taking pictures of all that I have eaten.  Now all I need is to find the time to blog about it.

Kinton Ramen, I went when it first opened, sometime in June.  I think I must have went on the hottest day possible.  At that time, they hadn't installed the glass partition in the kitchen yet, so it made the entire area HOT!  You know it's really hot in there when while you are eating you have sweat rolling down your face, and when we finished eating and walked outside, it felt cooler outside than inside.  And outside that day with humidity was low 40's!  They have since installed a glass partition, but I still find it quite warm in the restaurant.

For each soup base you order, you get a choice in light, or regular broth and pork belly or pork shoulder.  The three of us ordered a gyoza, Miso regular broth with pork belly, Shoyu regular broth with pork belly and Shio regular broth with pork shoulder ramens.  They also have a strange cheese ramen that I didn't have enough courage to try, just sounded too strange to me.  I always like to try the most basic of anything the first time I visit restaurant to see how well something is done.  The simpler the dish, the harder it is to make.  No masking of the flavours this way.  Just the pure flavour comes out.  The gyoza was nothing special.  Tasted like a normal pan fried dumpling/gyoza.  I have never been given the option of light or regular broths before.  I didn't realize that regular broth means chunks of pork fat floating around the broth.  It was not a pretty sight.  Aside from the chunks of pork fat, the broth tasted very good.  Thick and almost creamy, lots of flavour.  Never had ramen with a broth like this in Toronto, Japan yes, here no.  Broth flavour wise, I preferred the Shio as it was lighter tasting.  Miso and Shoyu was way too salty for me.  Pork shoulder was too lean, a bit too tough.  Pork belly, was like a thick slab of bacon!  They even torch it right before serving!  Delicious!  Last but not least, the perfectly cooked egg!  Again, never seen a egg cooked like this before in Toronto!  The only thing I didn't like was that the egg seemed to have a soy sauce flavour.  The outside of the egg was slightly brown too.

Overall, so far I think this is the best ramen spot in Toronto that I've discovered so far.  I have yet to try Momofuku (although I heard it's quite disappointing compared to the NYC location).  The broth here, the light version, so comforting!

Gyoza













Shio Ramen

Miso Ramen

Shoyu Ramen

Egg




































Kinton Ramen
51 Baldwin St.,
Toronto, ON
M5T 1L1
647-748-8900
Hours:
Lunch Monday to Sunday 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner Sunday to Thursday 5:00pm - 10:30pm
               Friday to Saturday 5:00pm - 12:00am

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...