Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Fairmont Lake Louise - Afternoon Tea

Whats there to do at Lake Louise when the trails are too slushy, and icy for hiking?  Sit back and admire the beautiful view of the lake while sipping afternoon tea inside the Fairmont!  I guess I could have tried to hike the trails, but I'm not sure I want to sit in the car in wet socks and shoes for the drive back to the apartment.  Plus, since my hiking shoes quit on me in Banff, I was left to wearing my winter runners......so we decided to take the option of enjoying the view.

We arrived at the Fairmont about 15 minutes before afternoon tea service was to begin so we had to wait a bit before we could be seated.  Lucky for us, because we didn't have a reservation, they still had a table by the window available.  And because our table was the first window table people walk by, I'm pretty sure we were in a lot of people's pictures.  I guess that's what it feels like to be a celeb hahaha.

While the view was beautiful, I found the service to be not as great as other places I've had afternoon/high tea before.  It wasn't that the service was bad, but it wasn't what I was expecting.  Usually I get offered teas to choose from by both looking at the menu, and also by smell.  Here at the Fairmont Lake Louise, I had to ask to smell the teas.  They didn't have a small 'sample' box of teas for me to smell, they just brought the big jar of teas over.  The hubby chose a strawberry green tea, and I chose a maple syrup black tea.  Hubby's tea smelled and tasted quite fruity.  Very light.  My maple syrup black tea I found a bit weak.  I let it steep in there for quite a long time, and it was finally to  my liking, although by then it got a bit cold.

Food wise, we started off with berries and fresh cream, tasted exactly how it sounds.
Berries with Fresh Cream










Then our sweet and savoury tower appeared.  The hubby was impressed with how it looked, he's never been to tea before.
Afternoon Tea Tower













Our savouries included shrimp on croissant, cucumber sandwich, curried egg salad sandwich, and some smoked salmon.  I tried them all, and really they were nothing special.  They weren't horrible, and they weren't great either.
Finger Sandwiches










The next thing I tried was the scone.  By look already, they weren't the fluffy airy scones that I love to eat.  Also, they weren't warm.  So it felt like they have been sitting around.  The scones came with some Devonshire cream (aka clotted cream), berry preserve, and lemon curd. I love love love clotted cream.  I could eat that on everything.  But so glad that I don't have that often because it's super fattening!  If you don't know what clotted cream is, it's like butter, but way lighter, almost like the consistency of mascarpone I'd say.  The preserves I doubt were made in house, tasted like any jam out of a jar.  I liked the lemon curd, but that probably because I like lemon.
Scones










And finally, the sweets.  There were 2 macarons, one raspberry, and one pistachio (from what I could guess).  They're nothing like Laudree, no where even close.  I would eat them if I was craving a macaron really badly....  The cakes, and what I think was panna cotta (or something similar to that), and fruit tart was passable.  It was similar to desserts that you would find at a buffet.
Sweets










Overall, the afternoon tea at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise was not as good as the other high teas/afternoon teas that I've had before.  But I have to say that it is one of the nicest views I've ever had while having tea.  So probably the first time ever, I'll say it's definitely worth it to come here despite the mediocre food.  Oh also, if you have afternoon tea here, your parking can get validated and you can park for free!

Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
111 Lake Louise Drive,
Lake Louise, AB
T0L 1E0

Phone:  (403) 522-3511

http://www.fairmont.com/lake-louise/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...