Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Mercato - Mission

I wanted to find a restaurant where would could sit and chat since we were meeting with my husband's cousins for dinner.  After doing some Googling for a place nearby the apartment, I found Mercato (Mission location).  My friend also mentioned Mercato, saying they make the best pasta.  So I knew I wanted to try this place.  But of course, due to me not doing enough homework before the trip, I never made a reservation.  In the end it worked out due to Calgary being 2 hours later than Toronto, means for an early dinner, we lucked out and got a table during the first seating.

It was so busy there, even though we walked in at 530pm, which is when they open.  We snagged a table because there just so happened to be a last minute cancellation, otherwise we would have had to sit at the bar.  I hate sitting at bars, because it's hard to have actual conversation, and plus i'm short, so getting up and down on the stools is quite a pain.  We quickly ordered because I was hungry.  We ordered a mushroom pasta, octopus pasta, the bistecca with a side of mixed mushrooms.  The pastas were great!  Even though pastas tend to me heavy, both these pastas were light and flavourful.  I guess its because it was a oil based sauce instead of a heavy cream or tomato sauce.   From both these pastas, the octopus was my favourite.  Very tender!
Mushroom Pasta

Octopus Pasta



















The main was the steak.  It took FOREVER to come.  I know people like to sit and chat and enjoy their meals slowly.  But I was hungry, borderline getting to be HANGRY.  I just wanted my steak damn it.  We kept asking them how much longer, and they kept saying soon, it's just resting etc.  It finally arrived, and unfortunately I don't think it was worth waiting for.  I find the steaks I have in Toronto are much better.  There just wasn't much flavour.  Alberta is known for their beef, but yet, the beef I've had in Alberta, is well just meh.  Do they ship out all their beef to other parts of Canada instead?
Bistecca










The pasta was good, so good I would come back just for the pasta if i'm in Calgary again.  And I will make sure to make reservations next time, because I definitely don't want to sit at bar.

Mercato - Mission
2224 4th Street SW
Calgary, AB
T2S 4W9

Phone:  (403) 263-5535

Hours:  Monday - Sunday Lunch 1130a, Dinner 530p

http://www.mercatogourmet.com/main.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...